Walk For a Cure

Last weekend, I attended and volunteered at the Scleroderma Walk in Philadelphia. I have been going to this walk for twelve plus years to support my aunt.

12088556_10206563958992154_1800543064472148114_n

Our team!

Not many people know about scleroderma, let alone the walk to fight it. “Scleroderma, or systemic sclerosis, is a chronic connective tissue disease generally classified as one of the autoimmune rheumatic diseases.”* This walk raises money to fund research to find a cure for this disease. It is a great event with tons of people and you can really feel the love. It is always so great to see how many family members and friends come to support their loved ones. The Scleroderma walk takes place every year on the first Sunday of October, and I am proud to say that I have been to every walk since our team formed. The walk itself is a total of three miles along the Schuylkill River on Kelly Drive.

Handing out t-shirts.

Volunteering at the walk is always great and makes me feel good. My two friends (who are like my sisters) and I have been labeled the “t-shirt girls” as we are always assigned to the t-shirt table year after year. The last few years, my younger sister and cousin have also joined in on the action.

If you have anytime next October, be sure to check out this amazing event to find a cure for Scleroderma!

*Information was found on the Scleroderma foundation website.

One thought on “Walk For a Cure

1. Dear Devica,

Thank you for writing this blog and helping raise awareness for Scleroderma.
    I just happened to find this as I am still learning my way on Twitter. You write very well and from the heart. I could not do this event without you and your (our ) family’s support.

With love Neerja Aunty