Bryn Mawr

The past week, campus was full of admitted students from the Class of 2020. While this is an exciting time for these soon-to-be college students, this time is often the most difficult and stressful time for current college students. While we are piled with exams, papers, readings, etc. it is not only a physically/mentally time of stress, but often an emotionally one as well. This is often the time when first years, and even some sophomores, decide that they want to try something new and transfer.

It is no question that Bryn Mawr College is not the typical college experience. With a focus on traditions and quiet intimate gatherings rather than tailgating and ragers, Bryn Mawr is far from what college life is portrayed in movies.  It can be difficult to accept this for some people, as society and the media has made “the typical college experience” the expectation for most high school students. I know because I have felt this way, and sometimes still do.

There are days when I call my mom in tears claiming that I made a mistake coming to Bryn Mawr and I want to transfer. I want the sports, and the large co-ed college feel. I want everything that Bryn Mawr is not. But what do they say? The grass is always greener on the other side?

Then there are these amazing, magical days, where I feel like I belong here. Knowing that I’m in a place where women went to get an education when they weren’t allowed to, a place where it is encouraged to step out of your comfort zone and do something for the sake of learning and not for the sake of a grade. The days where you can just soak in the amazingness of the people around you, knowing that you too are a person full of amazingness-those days are the best days.

I know that academically, I have some of the best professors in the world. And they care. They know my name, and ask me how I am doing. They talk to me about big things going on in the world, and about trivial things, like sports. They invite me (and my classmates) into their homes for a home cooked meal and to play with their pets. Those are the times that I know that I am in a special place. I know no other place would give me this opportunity-this connection with professors, faculty, and staff.

So yeah there are bad days at Bryn Mawr, but honestly, where aren’t there bad days? It can be really difficult to accept the reality of the situation-college isn’t what was expected. And it is totally fine to say “hey, this isn’t the place for me.” But what I have found on the days were I go “ugh Bryn Mawr,” is to open your eyes to what is in front of you. Often we dwell on a few things that don’t appeal to us because that is just human nature, that we don’t see what is in front of us: a place where you are challenged to achieve a better you academically and socially.